Friday, April 27, 2012

Chocolate Espresso Mousse in Chocolate Cups


Chocolate cups!!! I can't describe how excited I am that these worked out so well!
Edible cups :D
I don't think I'd ever eat mousse or ice cream in normal cups again!

Chocolate cups can be made by tempering chocolate or using candy coatings. I've read a lot of articles where people use balloons to create a more round bottom chocolate bowl but I used silicone cupcake cups instead. I would advice you to use silicone cups because they are ridiculously easy to use. From what I've read you can make these using normal foil cupcake cups. I don't exactly know how because it seems a bit more complicated.

Now I've worked with a Dr. Oetker's scotbloc chcocolate before and it was a lot easier to use than ordinary chocolate especially to make chocolate decoration. The scotbloc melts faster but it cools down and becomes solid in room temperature which works perfectly for the decoration. To be quite honest I know that scotbloc is chocolate flavored cake covering but I don't know the real difference between this and a bar of normal chocolate. So if you do know.. please do tell me.


I melted the scotbloc in the microwave and painted on the chocolate onto the insides of the silicone cups using a normal pastry brush. Put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes and tada! Chocolate cups, how simple and fun!

A chocolate espresso mousse went in next topped off with a cherry pie filling. I wish I could say that I was super duper awesome and made the pie filling from scratch, but I didn't. Cherries are out of season in Oman right now and the Harley's Black Cherry Pie Filling is really tasty!




Chocolate Espresso Mousse and Cherries in Chocolate Cups

For the chocolate cups
  •  200g Scotbloc Chocolate Flavored Cake Covering 
In an microwave safe bowl break Scotbloc into square and microwave for 90 seconds. Ensure that you stir the chocolate every 20-30 seconds
Dip a pastry brush into the chocolate and cover the insides on the silicon cup (as if you were painting with chocolate)*
Place cups in the refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes. 
Take the cups out and slowly run your nail between one edge of the chocolate and the cup. Once you have divided one edge if should be fairly easy to run your finger around the cup freeing it from the silicone. 


*While you are painting on the chocolate make sure that there are no bits dripping off the top of the cup. If it solidifies in this way, it make cause the cups to break while removing the silicone. 


For the Filling
  • 130g milk semisweet chocolate
  • 50 g butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • 1 tin Hartley's Black Cherry Pie Filling
In a glass bowl set over simmering water, melt together the butter, chocolate, espresso and milk. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes and whisk in the egg yolk. 
With an electrical beater whip the cream to medium peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture.


To assemble


Spoon a bit of the cherry pie filling (without the whole cherries) into bottom of the cup.
Fill cup with about 2 tablespoons of the mousse and refrigerate. 
Once the mousse has set top with remaining cherry filling. 
Refrigerate til served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment