Friday, April 20, 2012

Peach and butterscotch pie



This is a pie for my friend Simone. Simone and I love talking about food. Chatting with her from Malaysia, she'd always be on about 'What mom's cooking'; the never ending lists of tantalising, mouth watering savouries and deserts. She likes torturing me as I like bugging her. I spent a day with Simone and her family yesterday and had a lovely time as always. I finally learnt how to make quiche and sorta attempted to make a chocolate ganache cake.



This pie is extremely easy to make especially because I cheated and used the Betty Crocker pie crust box. I try not to cheat but this time I was short of time. Every time I make pies I remind myself how convenient a pie is... sweet or savoury.. the possibilities are endless. A few days later I quickly forget. This pie is completely based on me trying to put together something out of whatever was lying around at home. 

Butterscotch chips, check. Peaches, check. I even had corn syrup left over from my awful attempt at make pouring fondant. 

I bought a very large packet of Nestle Toll House butterscotch flavoured morsels sometime back and its been lying there in the cupboard for ages. I tried using them in cookies but it just was a bit too sweet so they have been there... waiting ... waiting for the perfect..... pie

I used this recipe for the butterscotch part of the pie. The only thing I replaced were the pecans and put chopped hazelnuts instead. I think the crunch is really important for this pie. If you don't use the nuts it'll be a big mushy pie and no one wants that. I should mention that I have to burst a few air pockets with a skewer during the baking process. The filling kept rising abnormally from different sides, so I poked them and it immediately went down. Half way through the baking process I took the pan out and put the slices of peaches on top. Over that went a quick mixture of butter (1/8 cup) , sugar (1/2 cups) and flour (1/4 cup).

Next time I'm going to try and make the pie crust :) What fillings do you suggest?

1 comment:

  1. First hand experience: THIS PIE WAS SUCH A HIT!

    So proud of you Naf! Everything you make, is always done with so much of love and the proof of that is definitely in the pudding! (Well in this case - pie hehe)

    Can't wait for your next "first timers"

    xxo

    ReplyDelete