Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fig and Goats Cheese Salad


The first time I ate goats cheese was in Amsterdam and sure enough it tasted...... goat-y
There is something very different about goats cheese. The one I tried was tangy, creamy and delicious. From what I've read the variety when it comes to goats cheese is endless. For those who know me, I don't have to tell you how much I love my cheese.

Salad for dinner was a Fig and Goats Cheese Salad with a balsamic reduction. Initially I wanted to make a fig and goats cheese tart. I searched hi and low for fresh figs but they weren't in stock anywhere which meant I had to settle for the dried ones. The colour difference between the dry and fresh is big and so I decided to make a salad instead. Simmering the dried figs in water for a bit made it moist so it was easy to eat. The result was an interesting tangy yet sweet salad. Simple yet tasty. I don't really think this dish even needs a recipe but here goes...


Fig and Goats Cheese Salad

  • 6 dried figs
  • 100g grated goats cheese
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 500g fresh baby spinach leaves
  • balsamic glaze/reduction for drizzling
Cover dried figs with water in saucepan and allow to simmer for about 15 mins. remember not to boil... just allow to simmer on very low fire
Remove figs and place on kitchen towel to remove excess water.
Milk cheese with the milk to soften. If the cheese you are using is soft you can skip this step. Alternatively you can use goats cream
Slice figs in half and stuff with softened gosts cheese.
Place washed spinach leave on a plate, top with figs and drizzle with balsamic glaze.


I normally reduce the balsamic vinegar to make a reduction but this time I sort of cheated and bought a balsamic graze in a squeez-y bottle which made things easier. You can find out how to make a balsamic reduction here

No comments:

Post a Comment