Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beetroot Gravadlax


Cooked or not I love Salmon. Who doesn't?

Ever since I learnt how to cook Salmon all I have been doing is making small pockets of salmon and veggies in parchment paper something I learnt from yet another Jamie Oliver book.
The only place I've ever eaten Gravadlax at is Ikea. I've never considered making it before until i came across the recipe for a Beetroot Gravadlax in Jamie Does .... Sweden.
Gravadlax means buried Salmon, because Swedish fishermen used to dig a grave and bury the salted salmon in sand allowing it to ferment for a few days. This process removed the moisture from the salmon allowing it be cured. What people do today is 'bury' the salmon in rock salt and keep it in the refrigerator. Instead of the sand that would normally push down on the fermenting salmon, you could use any weight; tins, bottles, brick etc...

Now normally gravadlax does not use any beetroot but this Jamie Oliver recipe is a bit of a spin on the generic gravadlax, creating a beautiful end product where the otherwise orange salmon has a thin ribbon of pink/red from the beetroot.


I was a bit sceptical to serve 'raw' fish but I'm glad everyone warmed up to it, tried it and really enjoyed. As Jamie Oliver says if you are making this its worth inviting some friends over and having a little party because it is no doubt a special dish; one that it really tasty and also very beautiful.

You can get the recipe I used here . I served the gravadlax with the dill and sour cream sauce mentioned in the recipe along with some bread. The sour cream cuts a bit of the saltiness in the fish so it goes really well together.

I would definitely urge you to give this a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment