Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cake Pops

Those of you on Facebook may know that for some time now I've wanted to make sweets for a baby shower. Not that I suddenly have the desire to be surrounded by all things baby, but mostly because I am intrigued by making all things miniature. Having followed Bakarella's blog for so long I finally got around to making cake pops! I probably should have made them a long time ago but other than the cake ball itself it is impossible to find the rest of the ingredients here in Oman. There is no way you'd come across candy coatings, funky sprinkles or even ready made fondant...... other than Dr Oetkers's White Regal-Ice Ready to Roll Icing! Now I came across this very recently and I solemnly hope that I continue to find it here. At least there is this and compared to reliving my horrible attempt at making pouring fondant, this is a life saver! Oh the effort and the mess.... no definitely NOT making fondant again!!




I used a white cake and mixed in classic chocolate icing. Now that I think of it, I probably should have used velvet cake, as it would have looked much nicer to bite into. However when I was making the cake I had no idea what the outside was going to look like so chocolate cake it was!

see! cute little baby girl pops :D

Making these cake pops have completely been based on me using what ever I could find. Didn't have Styrofoam so I used a white pizza box :D.... Didn't have any molds so I used a cookie cutter for the flower and cut the bows out with a knife. To add the tiny details I used..... pottery tools!! Im not saying that having the right tools is unnecessary, but if you are going for something super simple like these you wont need a lot.

What I initially wanted to do was make white and pink polka dotted pops, but that was almost impossible without the right cutters. So there you go. If you can find them buy the right tools and surely you'd be able to come up with really creative and neat my father keeps pointing out that my pops are irregularly shaped x) cake pops!


I told the sister-in-law that I needed her to hold the cake pops so I could get some pictures. She got super excited as you can see, got all dressed up :D earrings and all 

I've got some marzipan left from a pound cake I made sometime back so I think I'm going to try and make more cake pops before I leave.  I want a duck mold to make duck pops.. Has anyone seen one around?


Happy cake popping!

No comments:

Post a Comment