Monday, April 4, 2011

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE ...CAKE

The first time i made a cheesecake i didn't know what cheesecake was. I had never eaten a cheesecake or even seen one so when the recipe asked for 800g of cream cheese i thought i had written it down wrong. So i stupidly used a lot less. I guess the problem was the recipe was from a book that didnt have any pictures. It ended up being a biscuit :S it was rather embarrassing later when i saw the real cheesecake.

My 2nd attempt at a cheesecake really couldn't be counted. It was a no bake cheesecake that 2 of my friends and i made together. At least I finally knew what a cheesecake looked like. Ever since then i have been on the constant rampage to find and eat cheesecakes. I had never tried to make a cheesecake though;because its so complicated. It was like lasagna; loved to eat it just too complicated to make.

Later my friend Nuzha wanted to make cheesecake a few years ago, so we decided to get together and make a very basic baked cheesecake. Sadly it cracked right in the middle... a big gaping hole so we filled it in with a lot of betty crockers frosting. Everyone at home loved it, they just dint know what a failure it was. Ive made the same cheesecake a few times after and Ive continuously had problems with it. It would either crack as soon as i took it out of the oven or just collapse. It didnt't really have to look perfect for my brother. He would demolish it either way.

SO FINALLY one fine day in September 2010 i decided to attempt to make a proper cheesecake! I did tonnes of research on the proper way it had to be done and turns out the biggest mistake i was making was taking the cake right out of the oven and placing it on the counter. I thought that was what people did normally??!Im always impatient to ice a cake once im done baking it. So i would take the cake straight of the oven and place it on an exceptionally cold counter assuming that it would help cool down the cake faster.




I wasn't even supposed to open the door during the process of baking as it would reduce the baking temperature! What i apparently had to do was switch off the oven once it was done baking and leave the cake inside the oven so that it would cool to room temperature after which i could take the cake out! Who knew....




I know it isnt the most beautiful thing on earth but there is no way to describe how excited i was when i saw this. I was on top of the world!!!





:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 comment:

  1. The chocolate chip cheesecake we made was a miracle of its own!
    Even with the unintentional and extremely unusual twist in the ingredients, it turned out great! :D

    And this one...I am so so craving this. I'll make my way to your place as soon as I can heave myself off this couch!

    ReplyDelete