Saturday, October 9, 2010

Beginings


My first cook book one of those really thin cook books for kids. As far as i can remember my mother bought it for me from MV Doulos. I've never been one of those people who knew exactly what they wanted to do with their lives from the time they were toddlers. I never thought id study architecture until i finished my ALs. I never thought id love cooking the first day i laid my eyes on the pages of Mary Ford cake book. Cooking was something i just learned to love over time.

The first thing i ever made was a tomato salad. There really wasn't much to it; all it had was fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. It was Oman in 1997.. i highly doubt they even had buffalo mozzarella so i used the one in the packet that people put on pizzas and even though it probably didn't even taste as good it felt amazing to be able to create something so satisfying.

More over i though it was brilliant that something that i made was laid on the lunch table amidst everything else my mother had made! My family was actually eating it too

Super ecstatic i moved onto the second page of the book which were muffins. As wierd as it may sound i hadn't even eaten a real muffin back them. There were these things called sponge cakes which were like muffins but squishier and airier but no i hadn't eaten muffins. The recipe called for self raising flour. I don't think my mother had used self raising flour before so she told me to just use the ordinary one. There i was sitting in front of the microwave waiting for the damn cupcakes to rise but they never did... i felt defeated. I had pretty much messed up the muffins completely; they even tasted weird.

I was a kid, other important things came along and i eventually gave up on the little green cook book until...

(obviously this isnt what i made, but it looked like this...)

No comments:

Post a Comment