Saturday, November 10, 2012

Dripping Quiches and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Its been ages since I updated this blog. I have been cooking and baking but I think I have been shying away from uploading the tiny things I’ve made because of all the crappy photography. I wonder why I can’t spend just a few more minutes and take a decent picture. (Always in such a hurry….. -.-)

Over the last month I made an upside down apple cake, red velvet cupcakes, a failed quiche and chicken pot pie.

The quiche is an interesting story because I love quiche!! I can eat quiche for breakfast, lunch and dinner! My favorite quiche is spinach and cheese and although I planned to each quiche last week I wasn’t destined to. I think once again I should refer to my disaster making pouring fondant but this time really it was nothing but my stupidity that ruined what could have been a beautiful quiche. I stay away from making dough due to my lack of confidence but then earlier this year my friend Simone’s mom made these yummy little quiches using store bought puff pastry.
Mistake number 1; I thought it was brilliant and I decided to give it a try, except for some ridiculous reason I decided it would be easy to make it in a pie tin.
5 mins in the oven and pastry fell and about 1/3 of the filling dripped out through the bottom.
Mistake number 2; I should have listened to my father. When I bought the oven my dad mentioned that I should probably keep the cookie tray underneath the wire rack if I was going to bake something that might overflow. Well I obviously didn’t do that or it would have saved me the trouble of cleaning cream and cheese off the bottom of the oven. -.-

I did salvage it though. I pulled the pastry into a silicone cake tray and put it back in the oven to see if it would work out mainly because it was too late to go out and buy dinner. It was fine. Obviously the pastry wasn’t great because it was soaked through but it was edible. Unfortunately by the time I cleaned the gigantic mess in the oven and the floor of my kitchen I had lost of appetite. So I gave the quiche away.

On a happier note, I found some really cool ingredients and baking stuff. Those of you who are my friends on facebook and follow me on twitter would know that about a week ago I found Polenta! ; an ingredient that I have been looking for high and low in Oman. I found it!! In Sri Lanka! Who would have thought?  I am super excited to make Polenta! Insanely excited!! So keep posted for something this weekend. 



I have been having a major cookie craving! That too for Subway cookies. Does anyone else think that Subway cookies are way better than any store bought cookie? Yesterday was Poya, (Poya is a Buddhist public holiday here which occurs every full moon day), so I moved my lazy ass to the store and bought all the ingredients and made a gigantic batch of cookies. Super easy, no mess cookies which I’d like to think are pretty healthy.

I used a recipe from smitten kitchen 

I was very pleased. No issues what so ever. If you prefer a sweet cookie you might want to add more sugar to the recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment